Tuesday, 25 December 2012

No Chelsea return yet: Lukaku wants another season on-loan

Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku has reaffirmed his desire to remain at West Brom for the entire season and has even said he is eager to spend next year on-loan as well.

The Belgian forward is enjoying a good season at the Hawthorns, scoring six goals and generally demonstrating why Chelsea paid Anderlecht €20million for his services 18 months ago.

After a frustrating first season at Stamford Bridge when he rarely featured, the 19-year-old’s fine displays this term have led to widespread opinion that he could be recalled in the new year to help Chelsea’s struggling strike-force.

However, Lukaku insists he is not thinking of returning to his parent club any time soon and wants to focus on improving as a footballer during his time away from the European champions.

“They are doing well in the league so I don’t think they need me back,” he said.

“I know what is going on. For me, it is a one-year loan. Then, hopefully, it may be one year again because I need to play as much as I can in the next two years.”

While Lukaku has begun to show what he is capable of and at times put in match-winning performances, most recently with his decisive header against Norwich in a 2-1 victory at Carrow Road on Saturday, he is not a fixture in the starting XI with manager Stve Clarke often preferring Shane Long in a lone-striker role.

However, Lukaku is not bothered by his role as an impact player and has full trust in Clarke to help his development as a footballer.

He added: “I have a manager [Clarke] who wanted me from the beginning of the season and I’ve a great rapport with him. It’s really good to have a manager that is challenging me mentally.”

 

For breaking news, follow us on @Sport_360 or find us on Facebook.

Related Content ~Sport360 Rss Feeds~

No comments:

Post a Comment