Sunday 3 March 2013

Hiddink opens door to possible Chelsea return

Anzhi Makhachkala manager Guus Hiddink refused to rule out a return to Chelsea today although the Dutchman was non-committal about his future plans.

Chelsea will be back in the market for yet another manager this summer after interim boss Rafa Benitez admitted in his now infamous press conference following the FA Cup victory over Middlesbrough that he will be leaving in May.

Since Hiddink’s brief yet successful tenure at Stamford Bridge, when he took in 2009 over following Luis Felipe Scolari’s disastrous stint, the Dutchman has often been touted for a return to the club.

As Chelsea hunt for a new manager – and with first choice Pep Guardiola destined for Bayern Munich – Hiddink is sure to be linked once more with the role.

Having revealed how he has fond memories from his time at Chelsea, coupled with the revelation that he may delay his retirement, Hiddink suggested that he could be interested in a move to the Blues.

"They have had a lot of changes, I think I'm the only manager that hasn't been sacked," said Hiddink, who is in Dubai with his Anzhi players for a mid-season break. "I really enjoyed my time there; I was there for about half a year, I think we played about 30 games.

“I really enjoyed working with that group of players, a really hard-working group of players, I enjoyed it very much. We had some great games, the Liverpool games, the Barcelona, Juventus games and the league games…I enjoyed it."

On his impending retirement, Hiddink said: "Regarding other clubs, I'm 66 now and getting to 67 in Autumn. As long as I feel energetic and I'm not getting to be an old and bitter man then I can go on. I can't predict what I'm doing next season."

Hiddink refused to be drawn into the Benitez saga, explaining that he is too far removed from English football to make fair comment.

He added: "It's difficult from this distance to judge what is going on at Chelsea, I'm not talking about their present situation, it's not up to me, it's up to them how they will get in a good (position).

“I don't know (if Benitez has been treated unfairly by the fans), they have a history, the fans react but it's difficult for me because I don't know what's happened.”

READ MORE:

- Angry Benitez hits out at Chelsea fans and confirms exit

- OPINION: Stop ranting Rafa, win matches and Chelsea fans will get on side

 

For breaking news, follow us on @Sport_360 or find us on Facebook.

Related Content ~Sport360 Rss Feeds~
Read more... http://www.chelseamashup.com/2013/03/03/hiddink-opens-door-to-possible-chelsea-return/

No comments:

Post a Comment