Sunday 31 March 2013

Bookham man raises £1,300 for charity on Marsden March

Bookham man raises £1,300 for charity on Marsden March This is Surrey --

A KINDHEARTED fundraiser who took on a gruelling challenge on behalf of his "dear friend" has raised more than £1,000 for a cancer charity.

Neil Walker, of Barn Meadow Lane, Bookham, completed the Marsden March, running 14 miles between the two sites of the Royal Marsden Hospital in Chelsea and Sutton.

The 47-year-old has so far raised £1,331 for the cancer hospital, which is currently caring for Mr Walker's friend and fellow Bookham resident Ann Stringer, who was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007.

Speaking to the Advertiser, the IT worker said: "After working at the Royal Marsden during 2012, I really wanted to take part in the Marsden March to do my bit for this amazing place.

"Ann was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago and sadly relapsed recently, so is back at the hospital having actually worked there for 30 years."

He continued: "I have had a number of friends who were treated there, and this just added to my enthusiasm to take part.

"I finished it and notwithstanding the horrible rain at the end of the race it was a remarkable day.

"There was a great atmosphere as there were about 4,000 people doing the march. Most people walked but someone sponsored me to run it, so I had no choice."

Speaking after Mr Walker completed the challenge on March 17, Ms Stringer, of Eastwick Drive, said: "On behalf of all the staff and patients at the Royal Marsden I would like to thank Neil.

"I enjoyed a long career there for more than 30 years, which was unbelievably rewarding and after I retired I became a patient at the Marsden.

"The treatment that I was given when first diagnosed with breast cancer seven years ago and then recently following my relapse has been second to none.

"My brother Richard was given lifesaving radiotherapy following a cerebral haemorrhage when he was 21 and my father was treated for bone cancer – as a family we are deeply appreciative of the work done by this wonderful hospital over the years."

To donate, visit www.justgiving.com/neilonthemarch Reported by This is 2 hours ago. ~Chelsea Headlines on One News Page [United Kingdom]~
Read more... http://www.chelseamashup.com

No comments:

Post a Comment