Monday 30 July 2012

A Farewell to The Offside

Indeed, the time has come friends for us to say our goodbyes. If you follow us on Twitter, then you’re well aware of the news. If not, then hit the jump to get informed. We’re not disappearing, just moving locations of sorts. More, after the jump:

tumblr_m4jyo4pSoB1qbtho3o1_1280

Love

I haven’t been at this craft for too long. This much I can admit with absolute certainty. When Jack sent out an APB in January of 2011 asking for help, I naturally jumped at the opportunity to participate in the Chelsea dialogue. My expectations were that I’d pop in periodically and add a bit of banter to the news, throw a few analysis pieces up here and there, and generally attempt to add a mix of wit and color wherever necessary. I had no idea that I would be so incredibly swept up in the art, the process, that it would become less an obligation and more a passion. In the time that I’ve called The Offside home, I’ve met the love of my life, gotten married, and settled into domestic bliss. In that time, Chelsea have fired two managers, won the FA Cup and Champions League, and increased the tally of grey hairs on my head three fold.

In my time, I’ve had moments of pure madness. I remember a piece I did on Jose Mourinho, who at the time was mooted to be ready to take over for Sir Alex. I recall the vitriol mixed with pure rage in the comments section. How dare I, you said, call out one of our own- a legend at that. I should have known better than to deride Jose, but we all make mistakes and I suppose I’ve made plenty of my own that I should be accountable for. Over the course of the last campaign, Jack and I tried to, as best as we could, give you the reader as much insight and analysis as we could afford. More tactical work, more posturing, more long-lens thinking. To engage at all costs was the modus opperandi. In many ways, I feel we’ve succeeded on that mission. Our readers, all of you, are the heartbeat that kept this site breathing. Without your loyal following, we’d have no reason to do this- considering it’s essentially volunteer work. But we’ve persisted now for months despite our personal lives taking the forefront, simply because of our love for the club.

At times during our sabbatical this summer, I’ve thought about the upcoming season. I’ve thought about the hours of work it entails to cover the news, provide match previews, moderate match day rant boxes, recap the proceedings, and continue to analyze the various nuances of Chelsea Football Club. That we were able to do it last year as a two-man band was a feat of epic proportions that required a great deal of time management and personal sacrifices on our part. To do it all again? It would be unwise I’d say. Simply put, I’m running out of bandwidth to be able to cover everything and I know Jack is in a very similar situation. We talked openly about the future and thought aloud about what was best for both the site and for the two of us. Would it be fair to you, the reader, if we continued in this space but posted less frequently? Or was there an alternative that would satisfy both our needs and yours?

Enter, We Ain’t Got No History. If you’re unfamiliar, shame on you. If you are, kudos. In short, we’re taking our talents across the internet to the definitive Chelsea blog. Graham and company welcomed us with open arms to the team and we’re delighted to let everyone know that we’ll be bringing our same band of wise-cracking, misinformed wit and brevity along for the ride. Joining with the WAGNH crew gives us all the chance to cover more in-depth pieces, while still reporting on news at happens. Plus, they really are the absolute best locale on the inter-webs for this sort of thing. Just cruise through their back catalog and marvel at the work they’ve produced. Genius stuff. Jack has his thoughts to share, and rather than paraphrase on his behalf I’ll let the man do his thing later, and for now I’ll speak from my vantage point.

Being a part of this site, this community, and this process, has been a privilege. I may not be everyone’s favorite voice on the subject, and at times I might get it all horribly wrong, for which I apologize, but I have been honored and humbled by the support you have demonstrated. To you, the reader, who regularly visits this site to validate the hours we put in behind the screen, thank you. To Jack, who took a chance on me when I had no idea what I was doing, thank you- sincerely. To Graham and company, who have welcomed us into the WAGNH community- thank you. To our families, who have tolerated this unhealthy obsession of ours for what seems like a century- thank you. To my wife, who reads every one of these posts and manages to let me watch every match, even at ungodly hours- thank you. Truly, sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, thank you to all of you. It’s been one hell of a ride- but I promise we’re just getting started. Follow us at our new domain, and keep on commenting. Carefree, friends.

Up the Chels.

Chelsea
Read more... A Farewell to The Offside

No comments:

Post a Comment