Monday 25 March 2013

Scolari defends Chelsea record as Brazil head to the Bridge

Luis Felipe Scolari has jumped to the defence of his Chelsea record as he returns to Stamford Bridge for the first time since his dismissal in 2009.

Scolari was in charge of Chelsea for just eight months, and after a fine start to his tenure, was given his marching orders with the team fourth in the Premier League table.

The 64-year-old’s time at Stamford Bridge is widely viewed as disastrous, but Scolari, who returns to his old stomping ground tonight when Brazil take on Russia in a friendly, believes it was not as bad as many think.

"I believe my time at Chelsea was not as bad as people have been talking about," Scolari said. "The numbers show that, the games we won. I don't think it was that bad."

Asked whether he was given enough time, Scolari added: "I don't think so but it was a decision from the management.

"Everywhere I work I am just a member of staff and if somebody thinks I am not doing a good job, they can sack me.

"That happens everywhere. I accept that. I did enjoy my time here at Chelsea and I was happy while I was here. It was one of the great experiences I have had in my life."

Chelsea and Brazil defender David Luiz, who is expected to line-up for his country this evening on his home turf, insists Scolari is remembered fondly at the club.

"I'm sure he is happy to come back here because regardless of what happened here he has very good memories,” Luiz said. "He has got history here as well so I believe what he wants here is to put the cherry on the top of the cake by winning the game at the stadium where he was manager.

"When somebody doesn't do well everybody outside always talks about the negatives not positives.

"What I have heard, having asked around, is Scolari had a great time, regardless of what happened."

In many respects, Chelsea are in a worse position now than when Scolari left, having become the first defending champions to be eliminated in the group stages of the Champions League.

The club is 19 points behind Manchester United in the Premier League and it has been a winter of discontent at Stamford Bridge, with interim manager Rafael Benitez a hate figure with some supporters.

Luiz recognises it has been a tough spell but he is convinced Chelsea can rescue their season.

"I think we are not playing at the level expected from Chelsea and not doing so well this season but in any case I believe we are because we are still competing for three titles," Luiz added.

"We can still win the Europa League, are still in the FA Cup and fighting for a better position in the table so I think we can still get there and this season can still be very good."

 

For breaking news, follow us on @Sport_360 or find us on Facebook.

Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment